1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Discrimination
  4.  → How Should Employers Show Support To Pregnant Workers?

How Should Employers Show Support To Pregnant Workers?

On Behalf of | Apr 25, 2023 | Discrimination, Retaliation

Pregnant or not, you deserve fair and unbiased treatment in the workplace. If your employer has shown signs of discrimination because of your condition, you have the right to file a complaint.

When you understand how your employer should treat you, it might be easier to identify discriminative behavior.

Provide Options For Flextime

Flextime is an option that allows you to work a specific number of hours each day or each week but on your own schedule. This means if you meet the “working hours” requirement, you can start or finish work whenever you please. This is a great option to give you the flexibility you need to go to doctor’s appointments and tend to other pregnancy-related needs.

Make Accommodations For Pregnancy

As you progress through pregnancy, you might need to reduce the number of hours you work. Performing job-related duties could also get harder, requiring task modification. Keep your employer informed about changes to your condition so they can work with you to find viable solutions. According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, there are laws to protect you against discrimination all through pregnancy including breastfeeding. Your employer should willingly provide accommodation to help you perform your job safely and effectively.

Negotiate Parental Benefits

Once you have your child, you may need to ease into balancing your career and home life. Your employer often has a substantial impact on the parental benefits you will receive. In anticipation of your pregnancy and childbearing experience, negotiate benefits with your employer. Learn about what they offer and prepare to advocate for your needs.

With the right support, you can maintain your job throughout your pregnancy. If at any point you experience discrimination, you can discuss your concerns with human resources or file a complaint with the EEOC.