1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Wage & Hour Law
  4.  → Get help filing a wage and hour claim

Get help filing a wage and hour claim

On Behalf of | May 26, 2017 | Wage & Hour Law

There is a portion of Colorado residents who go to work just about every day, putting their time in and not getting fully compensated for it. What can someone in this position do? According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, one in such a position may file a wage and hour claim against his or her employer.

As it currently stands, the FLSA requires that employers meet minimum wage and overtime pay requirements. These requirements apply to hourly employees who work a minimum of 40 hours a week. According to the FLSA, employers are to pay minimum wage and time and a half for any overtime shifts.

If one holds a position that qualifies for FLSA protection, and his or her employer is not abiding by the regulations put forth, he or she may file a complaint in an effort to achieve compensation for any resulting losses experienced. If one’s employer is found to have violated wage and hour laws, back pay may be achieved and possibly further compensation if it is deemed appropriate. Those who wish to file wage and hour complaints must do so within a certain time frame, however. Currently, the statute of limitations on such cases is two years — three for willful violations.

Employers are prohibited from retaliating against an employee who files a wage and hour claim. So, those in Colorado or elsewhere who believe that they are being unfairly compensated should not have to worry about taking legal action. An experienced employment attorney can help those who are dealing with wage and hour issues in seeking fair compensation for their time and effort.

Source: FindLaw, “How to Report Wage and Hour Violations“, Accessed on May 25, 2017